Thursday, April 1, 2010

"Most countries have a male-to-female suicide rate of at least four to one. It can't all be down to football results, so why the contradiction?"

Hail Shortlist. Previously, I'd never seen this free weekly rag as anything more than toilet paper for hard-up London students. This morning I read an exclusive. An exclusive only because of the frequency at which articles like this are published; nine unadulterated columns of press dedicated to this pressing male issue. Depression.

I imagine this is what Beethoven felt like after he put down his quill having shaded in the last semiquaver on his Ninth Symphony, simultaneously inviting a musical maverick street urchin to play it back to his good ear. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Don't want to sell myself short here, I've been saying it for years but Andrew Dickens says it so much better: "I'd always feared stigma; as with any 'new' condition, humans are sceptical, lumbering towards understanding it like a gorilla who's just been introduced to flat-pack furniture."

It's just a coincidence it was published on April 1st, I think.

Article here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, speak up. We wanna hear what you think.